Khyber Institute of Child Health
The Khyber Institute of Child Health (KICH),
located at Hayatabad Peshawar, is a pioneering institute in the field of child health which was being established in January 2011. This institute
is 1st of its kind as a hub for both clinical, preventive, research and training facilities for the whole province of KP in the field of child health.
The Khyber Institute of Child Health is the academic wing of twin phase project, while the children hospital 300 bedded is to be completed in 2018 as phase-II. This hospital will be a super-sub specialties hospital in clinical pediatrics.
The Institute provides the following facilities to public, under graduate, post graduate, doctors, nurses and paramedics. It also assists the Govt. of KP in planning health policies, plying advocacy role as front-line in child health.
- A provincial database on Paediatric morbidity and mortality
- A research and monitoring center
- A public Health Education Department including FM radio station
- A Media Centre on Child health and Development
- A Reference-cum-digital Library
- Conference Rooms
- Symposia Halls
- Class / tutorial rooms
- Administrative offices
- Research Laboratories
- Screening Programs for the Prevention Beta Thalassemia , congenital hypothyroidism and common metabolic disorders (PKU) and Galactosemia.
To reduce Pediatric morbidity and mortality in the Province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Federally Administered Tribal Areas in line with the MDG 4, through the adoption of improved preventive, promotive and curative strategies in the field of child health and development.
The Khyber Institute of Child Health (KICH) shall strive to achieve the aforementioned goals by:
- Improving the quality of pediatric care through the enhancement of the knowledge, attitude and practices of the trained manpower in the field of child health.
- Providing a vision for comprehensive child health, incorporating, monitoring and evaluating mechanisms.
- Interventions based on scientific evidence through collection of data and conducting operational research.
- Promotion of healthy infant and child rearing practices through the introduction of public/community health education.
The KICH envisages providing the following services.
- Teaching and training facilities for all cadres of health professionals in the field of child health
- A provincial data base on pediatric morbidity and mortality.
- A pediatric research base to guide evidence based intervention for reducing pediatric morbidity and mortality in the province.
- A Public health education service for disease prevention, child nutrition, child protection, child rights and development.